Rejoin The Workforce Using A Toronto Placement Agency
It is not uncommon for individuals in various fields of work to suspend their careers for an extended period of time. While their time away from the workforce might range from several months to several years, their reasons for taking a break may be unanticipated, planned, or necessitated by mitigating/extenuating circumstances. Such absences might be due to:
- Starting and raising a family
- Caring for an ailing family member
- Personal health issues
- A return to school
- Corporate downsizing
- Closing a sole proprietorship
At some point, however, these same individuals might be ready, willing, and/or able to rejoin the workforce, only to find that the workforce they left is in many ways different from the one they now face upon re-entry. New and diverse challenges may come from:
- Technology upgrades
- Leaner corporate structures
- Advancements in skills training
- Revised educational requirements
- The use and role of social media
- Streamlined business practices
- Accessibility/availability demands
Any/all of these matters can become further complicated based on the duration of their absence in contrast to the type of position they are seeking.
In such an environment, re-establishing a career may appear to be too overwhelming or monumental, and lead to discouragement and even a sense of gloom before the search process begins. It is in cases like these that registering with headhunters or a placement agency, such as Winters Technical Staffing, may offer major benefits to those intent on returning to work after an extended absence.
Hiring headhunters or working with a placement agency may rest on the specific type of work/position being sought in Toronto or the surrounding area. From a more definitive perspective, this could be delineated as follows:
- Full-time and/or more senior-level positions only
- Full-time, part-time, temporary, or contract work
- Specialization in a particular industry or area of expertise
Whether one or both of these avenues are preferred/chosen, individuals returning to the workforce after extended absences can enhance their potential for successful outcomes by following these suggestions/recommendations:
- Customize resume content for each position sought
- Update LinkedIn profile and engage in relevant group discussions
- Network beyond LinkedIn – revisit prior contacts, join new groups
- Develop a career map – focus on specific jobs, companies, industries
- Refresh interviewing skills (and prepare to explain the gap in time)
- Refresh/update skill set – online, night classes, weekend seminars
Pursuing and/or addressing all of the above options, in addition to stimulating the energy and confidence required to re-enter the workforce, can also accelerate the job seeking effort.
A Placement Agency Can Offer More Immediate Workforce Re-Entry Options
Although your ultimate goal for re-entering the workforce may be full-time or permanent employment with adequate compensation/benefits, you should not overlook or disregard options for a more immediate return to work. The possibilities are perhaps more readily afforded by an agency and may include: contract work, temporary/part-time positions, and project-based opportunities.
In addition to widening the scope of re-entry prospects, such roles will also:
- Allow a more temperate or controlled return to work
- Provide some requisite re-training or skills upgrades
- Open doors to possible or eventual full-time positions
- Create networking opportunities
- Provide exposure to new technologies/business practices
- Help to update and strengthen resume content
Furthermore, a placement agency, such as Winters Technical Staffing, also has the capability to fulfill the primary role of headhunters by simultaneously searching for full-time employment opportunities on your behalf while you are gainfully engaged in more limited-capacity work elsewhere.
Contact Winters Today
If you are finding it a challenge to re-enter the workforce after an extended absence, call Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-877-495-7422 or contact us for support and guidance in finding suitable job opportunities.