Recruitment Agencies Save Time When Hiring Engineers
When a company needs to recruit and hire an engineer, the task can become a long and drawn out process, particularly if all actions and decisions are assigned to in-house staff. Finding the best/ideal candidate takes time, especially if a certain amount of experience and/or a specific skill set are fundamental to the position – in such cases, the individuals who possess these backgrounds are likely working elsewhere and therefore need to be recruited away from their present employer. In simple terms, this requires a lot of time.
One of the reasons behind choosing the in-house route is undoubtedly related to cost. If the employer already has staff members on the payroll, there might be some reluctance to incurring additional expenses by using a recruitment agency.
However, cost can be measured in many ways, not just in absolute dollars:
- What is the cost of lost productivity?
- What is the cost of neglected priorities?
- What is the cost of missed deadlines?
- What is the cost of overtime operations?
- What is the cost of overburdened staff?
- What is the cost of an extended vacancy?
When all of these intrinsic factors are taken into consideration, it may actually be more cost-effective for the employer to outsource the majority of the recruitment process to an agency.
To accomplish a thorough and successful search for an engineer, notably an experienced engineer, there are a number of key steps that need to be implemented and completed in a systematic manner. These can include:
- Developing a candidate pool
- Searching social media (LinkedIn, Facebook)
- Soliciting in-house recommendations
- Networking with external contacts
- Connecting with engineering groups/associations
- Conducting or accessing salary surveys
- What is the current range for this position?
- What will it take to secure an experienced candidate?
- Contacting and screening candidates
- By phone, in person
- Resume collection and review
- Evenings and/or off-hours
- Preparing a short-list of viable candidates
- Scheduling and conducting in-person interviews – when and where?
- Reaching consensus on the hiring decision
- Confidence in moving forward or all effort/time invested has been lost
- Preparing and presenting the job offer
- Checking references
When all of the above is tasked in-house, the investment of time and staff resources can be substantial, with no guarantee that a suitable candidate will be identified and hired. Utilizing the resources of a recruitment agency can alleviate a significant portion of the time and effort required from in-house staff while simultaneously enhancing the overall rate of success in filling the engineering role.
For recruitment needs within a particular field such as engineering, agencies acting on behalf of the employer provide considerable savings in relation to both time and money.
This is achieved through:
- Fully-dedicated agency resources
- Industry-specific networking capabilities
- An accessible pool of potential candidates
- More immediate candidate contact/screening
- Centralized/coordinated interview scheduling
- Completion of reference checks
- An intense, thereby shorter, recruitment period
While the selected recruitment agency is attending to the above actions, in-house staff can maintain their productivity levels by focusing time and effort on other priorities/tasks related to day-to-day operations and to achieving immediate/future organizational goals.
Another important aspect of collaborating with a recruitment agency, such as Winters Technical Staffing, to hire an engineer, relates to the communication of this partnership to in-house staff. The recruitment agency should be positioned as a supplementary and synergistic resource rather than an action necessitated by any lack of confidence in the abilities of the in-house staff to find a viable candidate within a specified time period.
For all of your engineering recruitment needs, capitalize on the extensive experience of Winters Technical Staffing, a leading agency that has been supporting client staffing requirements for more than 40 years. Call us today at 1-877-495-7422 or contact us to set in motion your search for an engineer.