Employment-Hunting Tips to Make a Job Search More Productive and Effective
When prompted, many people would likely be able to describe colleagues, neighbours, or family members who often appear to be extremely busy yet seldom seem to accomplish any desired outcomes or achieve their goals. In many instances, these situations can be delineated as the difference between activity, the situation in which much effort is being expended, and productivity, the effectiveness or success of that effort.
Many times, an emphasis on activity can lead to a false sense of accomplishment. At the end of the day, there could be a number of check-marks beside items on a to-do list, but little to show in terms of moving forward or making a difference. Conversely, placing an importance on productivity often means expending less overall energy, opting instead to direct any/all energies solely to those to-do list items that can generate targeted results. In basic terms, one might look at this as a contrast between ‘doing things’versus‘doing the right things’.
The same principle can be applied to the goal of finding employment. Many job seekers will become frustrated with a lack of results, especially when they believe that they have dedicated considerable time and activity to their job search effort. But how much of that time and activity has truly been productive and how much has simply been spent putting check-marks on a list?
There are several fundamental steps to the job search process, including:
- Targeting preferred industries
- Identifying potential opportunities
- Preparing and distributing resumes
- Scheduling and attending interviews
- Follow-up communication/correspondence
However, the way in which these steps are carried out can mean the difference between activity and productivity, and more importantly, between job search frustration and job search success. The following tips may be beneficial in refining the employment-hunting process and in delivering a positive return on the time and effort invested:
- Targeting Specific Jobs/Industries
- This step can actually restrict success before the job search even starts
- Ensure that this list is not too narrow – be open to secondary options also
- Identifying Openings/Opportunities
- Searching online can be convenient but openings may not be posted publicly
- Widen searches via ‘people’ sources (associations, networking, social media)
- Preparing Resume Content
- Being factual in a resume is a given – but how will it stand out above all others?
- Have resume vetted by a professional to ensure optimal on-paper representation
- Attending Interviews
- Being on time and well-dressed are also givens but more preparation is needed
- Research the job, employer, and industry and have questions ready in advance
- Follow-Up Communication
- Sending a thank you note to each interviewer is both acceptable and courteous
- Individualize each note (not generic in content) and send out as soon as possible
By implementing the above tips, those seeking employment can make more productive use of their time, focus their efforts more effectively, and relieve much of the frustration that is inherent to a job search. Another way to further strengthen their chances for success would be to consult with placement professionals from staffing agencies such as Winters Technical Staffing in Toronto.
Staffing Agencies Offer Valuable Guidance and Insight to Toronto Job Seekers
Candidates can realize significant benefits by synchronizing their job search efforts with Winters Technical Staffing, one of the leading staffing agencies in Toronto and the GTA for more than 40 years. Working with an experienced consultant from Winters Technical Staffing gives job seekers access to the following assets and/or information:
- Apprenticeship opportunities
- Non-published job opportunities
- Resume and cover letter development
- Coaching on interview etiquette/demeanor
- Industry insight and established networking
- Job pre-requisites (training and certifications)
- Flexible options (full-time, part-time, contract)
- Prospects for relocation– out-of-province jobs
- Salary expectations and guidance on negotiation
Professional staffing agencies like Winters Technical Staffing in Toronto can indeed offer candidates valuable guidance and insight on how to make their job search efforts more productive and ultimately more effective.
Contact Winters Today
Looking to enter the workforce or make a career move but experiencing the frustration of a stagnant job search? Call the placement specialists from Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-877-495-7422 to schedule a no-obligation career discussion with one of our professional staffing consultants.