There have been numerous articles written and posted about the do’s and don’ts of a job interview. The advice is undoubtedly valuable to interviewees of all ages and experience levels, however, much of the information provided tends to focus on what to do/say and what not to do/say while face-to-face with an interviewer or a hiring manager.
It has been said that the success of any endeavour is directly proportional to the amount of planning that preceded its implementation. In testament to the acceptability of such a statement, one only needs to hear or recount a single horror story about someone taking apart their kitchen or bathroom only to learn that they could not reconstruct it according to their intentions or desires – and this poor planning subsequently left them without the use of that facility for an extended period of time.
This same principle undoubtedly applies to preparing for a job interview; if a job seeker has been successful in getting an interview over-and-above all or most other candidates, why leave matters to chance or “wing it” in a discussion that might last only a portion of an hour? Hence, if someone really wants that job (why even apply for it if they did not?) then they will have to invest time, thought, and effort beforehand to give themselves the best probability of success.
To that end, the following tips are provided to assist job seekers in their preparations for an impactful and successful job interview:
- Know your resume
– Be able to speak confidently and truthfully about all content/examples
- Know your prospective employer
– Research the company and its industry, products/services, competition
– Use company website, social media, online searches, internal contacts
- Know the job description
– Have a strong grasp of responsibilities, requirements, terminology, etc.
– Assess alignment of skills/experience and possible developmental needs
- Plan appropriate attire
– Have choice of attire ready-to-go i.e. all cleaned, pressed, polished, etc.
– If unsure, ask company contact to confirm acceptable attire/dress code
- Plan the travel route
– How long will it take to arrive about ten minutes prior to interview time?
– What are the alternatives in the event of traffic congestion/construction?
- Prepare a list of questions
– Ensure that questions demonstrate forethought and insight (not generic)
- Prepare multiple copies
– Resume, reference list, samples of work (for any impromptu interviews)
- Practice positive visualization
– Anticipate receiving questions openly; practice giving confident responses
Recognizing that performance during the interview will have a substantial bearing on the outcome, following the above preparatory steps can set a strong foundation for success.
A Recruitment Agency Can Help Job Seekers Obtain and Prepare for Interviews
Of course, when job seekers are in the position to prepare for an interview, there were other steps that had to be successfully completed beforehand. These include:
- Identifying job opportunities
- Confirming personal references
- Preparing and submitting a resume
- Conducting follow-up communications, and
- Arranging the interview date, time, and location
Job hunters know all too well how time-consuming and potentially frustrating any and all of these steps can be before a lone breakthrough can be achieved. However, by aligning their search efforts with the services provided by a recruitment agency such as Winters Technical Staffing in Toronto, candidates can consolidate the above activities as well as their interview preparations under the umbrella of job placement professionals.
The Winters Technical Staffing recruitment experts can assist job hunters in these ways:
- Identifying appropriate job opportunities
- Aligning skills/interests with specific roles
- Drafting suitable resumes/covering letters
- Securing interviews with target employers
- Pre-interview preparation; industry insight
- Guidance on correct conduct in interviews
- Negotiating compensation if/as appropriate
- Accepted follow-up communication practices
Individuals currently seeking employment may indeed find it advantageous to capitalize on the experience and direction provided by the professional consultants from Winters Technical Staffing, a leading recruitment agency in Toronto and area for over 40 years.
Contact Winters Today
For expert guidance and support in your job search and in preparing for your interviews, call the recruitment specialists at Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-866-932-5248 to book a no-obligation consultation with a member of our agency team.