Temporary Jobs and Contract Work on the Rise in Canada
Temp Jobs in Canada are Demonstrating Rapid Growth in Many Types of Roles
The effect of the economic downturn on the employment rate in Canada has been well-documented. Without delving into actual statistics, most Canadians would certainly have been aware of, if not directly impacted by, such recessionary consequences as plant closures, staff reductions, the elimination of full-time jobs, and hiring and wage freezes.
However, since the recession, there has been a resurgence in employment opportunities, albeit in a somewhat non-traditional way; there has been a rather significant growth rate in non-permanent employment i.e. in temp jobs and to a lesser extent in contract work. In fact, for the period from 2009 and 2012, temporary work was growing at a rate which was more than three times greater (14.2%) than the growth in permanent jobs (3.8%).
There are several factors that have influenced this trend in recent years, including:
- Economic recovery rate
- Slower pace has led employers to be wary about investing in full-time staff
- Contract work and temp jobs provide viable yet less cost-intensive options
- Global competition
- Firms have needed to implement just-in-time strategies to stay competitive
- Contract/temp workers offer flexibility in managing production and HR costs
- Re-hiring of retired baby boomers
- Departures/retirements impact headcount and institutional knowledge levels
- Offering contract roles to these former employees can solve both dilemmas
- Hours of operation
- Retail outlets/customer service centres are no longer nine-to-five enterprises
- Temp jobs or contract roles allow such businesses to operate on a 24/7 basis
A cross-section of the roles that are experiencing the fastest rise in temp jobs or contract work in Canada include but are not limited to the following (listed in alphabetical order):
- Administrative Support Staff
- Computer Network Technicians
- Customer Service Representatives
- Financial and Accounting Services
- Human Resources/Payroll Clerks
- Information Analysts/Consultants
- Landscapers/Grounds Keepers
- Light Duty Cleaning Staff
- Purchasing and Inventory Clerks
- Registered Nurses
As a result of these trends and hiring practices, a temporary staffing agency, or a temp agency, like Winters Technical Staffing in Toronto, can provide a viable avenue for job seekers who are looking to enter/re-enter the workforce but encountering challenges in obtaining full-time or permanent employment or who may prefer temp jobs/contract work as part of maintaining a healthier work-life balance.
As a leading temp agency in Toronto and throughout the GTA for more than 40 years, Winters Technical Staffing has been highly successful in placing individuals in temp jobs and contract roles with reputable employers in such industries as:
- Supply Chain
Temp Jobs Offer a Variety of Benefits for Young and Experienced Workers Alike
While initial perceptions of temp jobs may include concerns with stability, longevity, and compensation levels, there are in fact several advantages to pursuing such positions or contract work through a placement agency like Winters Technical Staffing.
These benefits would include:
- Gaining entry into the workforce, particularly for youth and new graduates
- Gaining re-entry to the workforce after extended absences (family, health)
- Creating opportunities to transform the temp job into full-time employment
- Broadening work experience and expanding skill sets (resume development)
- Ability to assess/evaluate employers/industries without a firm commitment
- Providing better work-life balance/flexibility based on personal/family needs
- Supplementary income in concert with spouse’s full-time salary and benefits
Many employers looking to fill temp jobs or contract positions will frequently utilize the services of temp agency to recruit for these roles on their behalf. Therefore, individuals who are open to the concept of temporary or contract work, or those who would prefer this type of employment over full-time work, would be well advised to align their search efforts with an agency like Winters Technical Staffing as a means of expanding their access to such opportunities.
Contact Winters Today
For further information on how our temp agency can be an asset to job seekers within Toronto and the GTA, call Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-866-932-5248 to arrange a consultation with one of our placement specialists.