Suggestions for Making the Job Search Process More Focused and Effective
When individuals begin to look for a job, whether they are entering the workforce for the first time, trying to advance in their present career, or attempting to change their career path, they will often display considerable amounts of enthusiasm and effort; there is also a high degree of anticipation that they will succeed in finding their new job in a relatively short period of time.
To some observers, especially those who have experienced one or more job searches of their own, this might sound like naivety; to others, it could be seen as having the correct attitude and approach to influence a positive outcome. However, from either standpoint, the levels of enthusiasm and anticipation can quickly turn to frustration and angst should those job search efforts not produce the desired result.
Let’s face it; a job search is considerably more complex than merely sending out a few resumes then sitting back to wait for a phone to ring or for an e-mail to land in an inbox. And since there are likely many other people seeking the same/similar types of jobs, the level of complexity can magnify significantly. Under these less-than-ideal circumstances, or some may say realistic situations, it is conceivable/understandable that once-positive attitudes and approaches can sour, leading to discouragement and diminished effort.
But instead of feeling sorry for oneself or assuming the role of victim, some introspection may be worthwhile to assess whether the job search process and tactics need some changes or refinements; in other words, this may be the time to take responsibility for any lack of success and to make modifications that can expedite a positive resolution to the search.
This is not to imply that the entire process must be scrapped or that the wheel needs to be reinvented but rather that some fine-tuning and tweaking may be in order to build on an already-established foundation. Consequently, the following suggestions are offered as quick yet effective ways to improve and enhance the job search process when results are not immediately forthcoming:
- Review/Strengthen the Resume
- Emphasize past successes and areas of expertise
- Clearly highlight value/contributions to an employer
- Obtain a professional review and feedback on content
- Evaluate the Current Approach
- How and where is available search time being allocated?
- Focus on high-return opportunities only – quality vs quantity
- Target specific jobs with specific employers or in specific industries
- Assess Current Online Presence
- Does one even exist – LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, blogs?
- If yes, would this presence/profile attract or deter employers?
- Optimize LinkedIn Profile
- Add appropriate keywords that will attract prospective employers
- Review top profiles – what differentiates them/makes them stand out?
- Request testimonials, endorsements, recommendations from connections
- Connect or reconnect with former colleagues and contacts
- Spend less time on the computer, more time on direct interactions
These tips can be implemented rather immediately and with only a limited investment of time and effort; in return, job seekers can make far more productive use of their time, while streamlining and focusing their efforts more effectively and alleviating much of the frustration that is inherent in many a search process.
Reasons to Align a Job Search with the Resources of an Employment Agency
Another means of strengthening the job search process and improving one’s chances for a successful result would be to align such efforts with the guidance and resources offered by an established and experienced employment agency like Winters Technical Staffing in Toronto; this can be particularly true with respect to the so-called hidden job market or unpublished employment opportunities.
Professionals from Winters Technical Staffing will often have knowledge of/access to jobs that are not otherwise advertised to the general public. Many employers often prefer to use an employment agency to conduct any recruiting and hiring initiatives on their behalf either due to a lack of in-house resources or to capitalize on readily-available candidate pools that are maintained by such firms; consequently, individuals seeking employment can expand their horizons, so to speak, and their potential for success, by synchronizing their efforts with those of a Winters Technical Staffing consultant.
Additionally, the candidates who choose to collaborate with Winters Technical Staffing, a leading employment agency in Toronto and its surrounding area for more than 40 years, can gain access to the following resources, information, and/or opportunities:
- Apprenticeship or internships
- Resume and cover letter preparation
- Coaching on interview protocol/behaviour
- Industry insights and established networking
- Flexibility(full-time, part-time, contract, relocation)
- Salary expectations and direction on how to negotiate
A professional employment agency such as Winters Technical Staffing can indeed provide job seekers with valuable insight and direction on making their job search efforts more effective and ultimately more successful.
Contact Winters Today
Looking for an entry-level position or attempting to make a career move but frustrated by a lack of response or lack of success? Call the recruitment professionals at Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-877-495-7422 to schedule a no-obligation career discussion with one of our experienced placement consultants.