Key Differences Between Recruitment Agencies And Headhunters
When the need arises to fill an open position or positions, employers who must or choose to outsource this task/responsibility may refer to recruitment agencies and headhunters on an interchangeable basis. While both terms depict individuals or groups who are charged with finding candidates/specific talent for the hiring organization, there are some key differences between recruitment agencies and headhunters in terms of:
- How they identify candidates
- The type of candidates identified
- Other services offered
- How they are compensated
This differentiation can be further complicated when the position to be filled is at a senior management level, necessitating the services of an executive recruiter or executive search firm.
Depending on the specific needs of the employer or hiring organization, there are distinct advantages to using one type of service over another to address their personnel/staffing requirements. The circumstances that may influence the use of agency staffing services, headhunters, or an executive search firm as well as some differential advantages for each type of service are outlined below.
- Offer employers a significant amount of flexibility with respect to staffing needs
- Can provide staff for full-time, part-time, contract, temporary, seasonal needs
- Maintain extensive candidate pools to fill positions on an immediate-need basis
- Capability of filling multiple positions (expansions, time-sensitive projects, etc.)
- May specialize in recruiting for certain industries or areas of expertise
- Can often handle other HR responsibilities such as screening, reference checks
- Recruitment agencies are generally paid once job placements are finalized
- Utilized to find suitable candidates for a defined job/function with the company
- Efforts are primarily focused on filling full-time positions
- Candidate pool consists of experienced individuals already employed elsewhere
- Will also use social media sites such as LinkedIn to identify possible candidates
- Recruitment period may extend over several weeks until best candidate is found
- Customarily paid on a contingency or commission basis when position is filled
Executive Search Firms
- Services are engaged to fill senior management roles (CEO, CFO, President/GM)
- Many executive search specialists have prior senior management experience
- Maintain a network of professionals with appropriate skills/levels of experience
- Understand the importance of confidentiality/discretion in an executive search
- Recruitment period may extend over several weeks to identify interested parties
- May require a retainer, either non-refundable or to be applied against final fees
For employers who want or need an external agent to support their recruitment efforts, professional staffing agencies, notably Winters Technical Staffing, can offer solutions for all types of hiring requirements.
Whether your organization needs:
- Temporary, part-time, contract, seasonal, or project-based staff
- Permanent or full-time hires
- Executive search capabilities
Winters Technical Staffing has the experience, capability, and resources to identify the talent you require to preserve and sustain the levels of productivity and contribution that you need and expect throughout your workforce.
For recruitment requirements spanning any and all levels of your organization, consider the services of Winters Technical Staffing, one of the leading recruitment agencies in Toronto and the GTA. Call Winters Technical Staffing today at 1-877-495-7422 to arrange a complimentary consultation and discuss how we can address your needs.